Braised Short Ribs


My buddy Simon and I tried this recipe a little while back. Never blogged about it cause I didn't have photos, but since it was something from Bon Appétit magazine, I figured I should just find it and post it.

It definitely was one of the best meals I had in a while. The meat was ultra tender and falling right off the bone. The flavors and aromas were pretty intense. The recipe calls for beef short-ribs and I feel its pretty important to stick to it even though it's a bit expensive. It's a fatty meat that has a lot of taste (fat and taste, see the link here?) and I think a lesser cut would probably not fare as well in this one. The recipe also suggest to serve with a good crusty bread, which really works fine. But I think a nice serving of parsnips mashed with basil, cracked pepper, butter and cream would do wonderful with it too.

So instead of going out for dinner, do yourself a favor and have this one with a nice bottle of Penfold's shiraz/cabernet. It's gonna be better than a night at the restaurant where you'll drop essentially the same amount of dough for a lesser meal.

Here's the recipe:

Ingredients

  • 4 1/2 pounds 3-inch-long beef short ribs
  • Coarse kosher salt
  • 2 cups dry red wine
  • 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
  • 1 6-ounce package sliced button mushrooms
  • 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
  • 6 garlic cloves, peeled
  • 6 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
  • 2 bay leaves
  • Crusty bread

Preparation

  • Sprinkle ribs with coarse salt and pepper. Place in even layer in slow cooker. Add next 7 ingredients, cover, and cook on low heat until meat is tender, about 8 hours
  • Using slotted spoon, transfer ribs to serving bowl. Discard parsley and bay leaves. Spoon fat off top of sauce and pour sauce over ribs. Serve with bread.
Here's the link to the article on the Bon Appétit website.

Enjoy!

*Picture was taken from the website.

1 comment:

mimi. said...

is that what you are cooking me Sunday night?

Blog Archive